Tuesday 15 April 2014

Hypnotherapy and finding a good Training School.

I think I might have found my new goal. And by that I don't mean that I've taken up football in a big way ... I mean that I have found something that I think I might be good at, will be satisfying and will help other people at the same time.

If you read my previous post you will know that I recently underwent hypnotherapy to help with my fear of skiing in whiteouts. I am by nature a bit of a sceptic and the fact that this therapy worked for me was really rather striking and remarkable.

My father was a GP and his first boss was a big believer in the process so my dad followed in his footsteps and used hypnosis in his practice. My mum is a nurse and as a child I remember her helping us to relax through pain or fear by using some of my father's methods. She herself was hypnotised to help with the pain of childbirth.

So really, I suppose, its no surprise that I have reached this point in my life, the point where I decide to become a hypnotherapist myself...

picture courtesy of lionelsinclair.com


Now, finding a reputable school is another thing altogether. In the UK hypnotherapy is not regulated by one body - there are several organisations that are representative of hypnotherapists... So finding the right place to train will be interesting. If I am going to do this then I want to do it well... be a properly trained, properly qualified therapist. After all... this is important.

Reputable hypnotherapists, clinical hypnotherapists treat a huge variety of complaints - from fear to PTSD, from wanting to stop smoking to weight loss. They don't sit there with a pocket watch making people quack like ducks .... its a big, big responsibility.

It would mean that I could practise while still working in my current job and yet have another string to my bow. I could also help people in a voluntary capacity. The more I think about it the more I am excited.

If you have come to my page and have any advice for me I would be hugely grateful.

3 comments:

joy said...

No advice, I'm afraid, as I know absolutely nothing about this, but well done for finding another string to your bow, it's never too late to start anything, I was 58 when I started my current "job" and still going strong. Good luck x x

Sarah said...

Hi.
I've just finished a course in Hypnotherapy, it was great. It was a postal course, so fit around childcare and there is also an option to attend a Workshop to practise on each other and gain more confidence. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about a change of career.
http://www.hypnoticworld.com/hypnotherapy-training/

sarah at secret housewife said...

Hello Sarah!
I shall have a look at the site you recommend. Thank you for your help!